Wednesday, April 4, 2012
I sent the radio to an outfit called "Factory Car Stereo Repair Inc." on Thursday, Jan 14th via UPS (ok, Nancy shipped it). They received it on Tuesday, January 19th. Later that same day, I got a phone call from them saying that the unit had been repaired and the docking mechanism had been replaced. Repair bill was $150 and return shipping was $23. A one year unconditional warranty on the repair was included in the price. I received the unit Friday, around 6:30 p.m. via UPS. I thought this was a stunningly fast turnaround. I reinstalled the unit in the truck and fired it up to check it out. No problems, everything is working just fine. I believe the original cd loading mechanism had been going bad for some time because I was surprised how quickly the player loads and unloads CDs after the repair. When I first contacted them, their contact, Bob, e-mailed me instructions on removal and reinstallation of the unit, complete with step by step photos (obviously they've dealt with folks like me before.) Only took 15 minutes or so to remove the radio and that only because I was being exceedingly careful not to snap the plastic locking clip that held the wiring harness plug to the back of the radio. Reinstalling the radio and dash trim took only 4 or 5 minutes to complete. Only tool required was a 7 mm socket for the three bolts that hold the unit in the dash frame. If you know anyone whose OEM cd player is malfunctioning, have them check these people out. They're also a Certified Clarion service center as well as being Bose system specialists.